FABULAMUNDI. PLAYWRITING EUROPE BEYOND BORDERS?
“Fabulamundi Playwriting Europe: Beyond Borders?” is a cooperation project among theatres, festivals and cultural organisations from 10 EU Countries (Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Romania, Austria, Belgium, UK, Poland and Czech Republic). The network aims to support and promote the contemporary playwriting across Europe, in order to reinforce and enhance the activities and strategies of the professionals and artists working in the sector and to provide the theatre authors and professionals with opportunities of networking, multicultural encounter and professional development.
Funded twice by the European Commission before the current edition, “Fabulamundi Playwriting Europe” won the Creative Europe Call as cooperation project 2017 – 2020 and now intends to widen both its reach and impact in the theatre sector. Through its experiences of the last four years, Fabulamundi has verified a growing interest in the European contemporary playwriting and a constant need to provide the sector with adequate and suitable tools that can help it to overcome its weaknesses. Therefore, the need to improve the multilateral relationships and the exchanges has become urgent as well.
The theme of this edition of Fabulamundi is “Beyond borders?”, a wide reflection about a relevant, challenging and dramatic urgency for Europe and European citizens. In these days characterized by the immigration emergency and by the rising of new walls, “Fabulamundi – Beyond borders?” intends to focus on the issue of overcoming borders, in order to provide a deep sight and understanding on contemporary matters.
This is a big challenge gathered by Fabulamundi together with its network in order to develop its own cultural mission. Fabulamundi aims to be a strong and wide platform of support and promotion of the contemporary playwriting across Europe.
Fabulamundi main objectives are:
- Promote the circulation, translation, publication and staging of new plays across Europe, through an ongoing exchange process supported by the participating organizations.
- Promote the knowledge and circulation of valuable playwrights in Europe through an ongoing program of mobility and exchange.
- Support the playwrights’ professional development, through a wide and ongoing program of peer to peer learning activities, networking and encounter with other playwrights, professionals and stakeholders.
- Involve drama related organizations (theatres, festivals, playwrights’ associations, publishers, drama schools…) in the development of specific competences (Audience Development, co-production, training…)
- Enhance a favourable ‘ecosystem’ for new plays and playwrights circulation and production, promoting the dialogue and the cooperation among the different stakeholders involved in the value chain.
- Create an international network of playwrights, artists, professionals and stakeholders (from public institutions to drama schools, from cultural associations to publishing associations) aimed at strengthening the whole drama sector, in a long-term perspective.
- Promote Audience Development in the drama sector at EU level, through the definition, testing, assessing and dissemination of specific strategies.
- Create, test and assess collaborative strategies and methodologies for the promotion of playwriting at EU level, to be replicated in a long-term perspective with the aim of guarantee the sustainability of the project.
- Create a “Fabulamundi Playwriting Europe – Beyond borders?” Artistic Program in the participating Countries, fostering the circulation of new plays and playwrights through an ongoing and coordinated selection, translation and distribution of plays.
An Audience Development Strategy for drama related organizations has been designed, run and assessed in order to promote the audience development in the participating Countries and to become a replicable successful model.
- Playwrights’ and drama related organizations’ professional development and internationalization.
- Create an European Network for playwrights and plays circulation and fruition.
- Create the first edition of Fabulamundi European Festival in 2020.
- 80 authors preselected from 8 Countries/dramaturgies (10 authors each)
- 160 preselected plays (approx 2 per author)
- 80 authors and 160 plays inserted in Fabulamundi online catalogue
- 40 authors and 40 plays from 8 “twinned dramaturgies” inserted in the online Fabulamundi Catalogue
Therefore, a total amount of 120 authors out of 16 Countries and 200 texts in circulation and promotion.
Fabulamundi partners and networks:
The partnership is composed by the following organizations:
- PAV s.n.c. di Claudia Di Giacomo e Roberta Scaglione (IT)
- Short Theatre (IT)
- Teatro i (IT)
- ECCOM (IT)
- Wiener Wortstaetten (AT)
- Culture Action Europe (BE)
- DIVADLO Leti (CZ)
- La Mousson d’été (FR)
- Théâtre Ouvert (FR)
- Interkulturelles Theaterzentrum Berlin e.V. (DE)
- Teatr Dramatyczny m.st. Warszawy (PL)
- University of Arts of Targu-Mures (RO)
- Teatrul Odeon (RO)
- Fundaciò Sala Beckett – Obrador Internacional de Dramatúrgia (ES)
- Creative Skillset (UK)
Sort OptionsJump Months